“It’s not what the world holds for you, it is what you bring to it. ”-Anne with an E
This year came with a lot of unexpected situations, one more disturbing than the other. In March, we are all in quarantine (excepting those who are continuously fighting the virus and trying to save as many lives as possible- we are very grateful for your help) , so this amount of spare time can’t go unnoticed.
I am currently reading The Shining by Stephen King and well… I don’t see it as a match for the two weeks I am going to spend in isolation with my parents. Don’t get me wrong: it’s a brilliant book! The thing is I kinda know where my dad is hiding the axe…
I’ll leave the scary Overlook hotel aside and turn my attention to books that have an even more dramatic subject: women.
I have never had the proper chance to get into classic English literature, but I think it’s time for it. However, I couldn’t ignore the great French female writers, so I chose some of their works too. Therefore, I made a list with some titles that might inspire you:
- Jane Eyre, Charlotte Brontë – IT’S A MUST!
- Any novel by Jane Austen- I started Sense and Sensibility and I almost cried my eyes out
- Lady Susan, Jane Austen- came across this title while watching a series, it’s considered a very good feminist work
- The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, Anne Brontë- known as one of the first sustained feminist novels, her second and last novel
- Memoires d’Hadrien, Marguerite Yourcenar- fantastic!
- Indiana, François le Champi, George Sand
- Anne of Green Gables, L.M. Montgomery- my favorite so far, even though some see it as a children book (so what?)
Sometimes, we might not be in the mood for reading and that’s fine. Luckily, there are some films and TV series that will definitely cheer you up:
- Anne with an E – you will see what makes it so special
- The Marvelous Mrs Maisel– you will fall from your couch from laughing
- The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society– books can save people in the most surprising moments
These female characters inspire and motivate me every day. They make me see that it is possible to get past any obstacle or problem if you have love. If you are ready to give your love to others, sometime with nothing in return. It takes a lot of courage and strength for that as well.
Don’t forget, there is always the audio book alternative if you like it or want to try something new. For those who love vintage stuff, audio books come in vinyls too, but I think an app should do the trick.
Enjoy your time alone, admire this world and it’s beauty- from inside for now, it’s safer- and try to stay optimistic!